Today, I had my finial tutorial with Ben before the hand in. We briefly discussed my rational and methodology for primary research going into my final project. Next, I showed him the body of work I would be handing in and we discussed how it would help inform the next stage of the project. I explained how I was continuing with the topic (social anxiety) and wanted to raise awareness and empathy but, I did not want to continue developing this idea.
Referring back to my rational I explained how I wanted to adopt a phenomenological methodology by creating a ‘cultural probe’ kit that will explore the theme ‘age of anxiety’ and be used to create detailed descriptions of lived experiences. Cultural probes where first introduced by Gaver, Dunne, and Pacenti (1999) who focused on creating aesthetically pleasing, informal probes to facilitate the research rather than to control the process (Gaver et al, 1999). By adopting this approach it will allow me to explore, analysis and interpret if/how modern day life is having making young adults more anxious.
After showing Ben the cardboard mock-up he advised me to not be so quick to disregard the work I’ve created so far, explaining that they create a body of work to show mini studies and development. Ben suggested that it would be interesting to see if the cardboard mock-up could be incorporated into the probe kit – allowing the participants to ‘experience’ anxiety and give me feedback – in turn this will help me to develop the project. A really simple way to do user testing. Additionally, just like Google Cardboard it is a good way to reach the masses rather than a small group of people that may come into contact with the project. It is important for me to remember that I am specifically targeting university saunders – it might be useful to explore how I could use this as part of a marketing campaign, a free give away?
In the design I have used toggles, these manipulate what the user see/hears. We talked about potentially using larger buttons, that are much more tactile, that mean the user has no choice but to touch them. It could illustrate the idea that there is ‘no escaping’ anxiety just like you have to touch the buttons.
Lastly, we discussed what I need to do over the summer. We agreed that I would make sure I conducted all my primary research and analysed/interpreted it. I would also, continue learning Arduino but also, MAXMSP as this software is a crucial element to the project.
Gaver, W. W., Boucher, A., Pennington, S., & Walker, B. (2004). Cultural probes and the value of uncertainty. Interactions, 11 (5), 53-56. Retrieved from http://cms.gold.ac.uk/media/30gaver-etal.probes+uncertainty.interactions04.pdf