In my previous blog post ‘Experimentation – Modul8‘ I began to experiment with Modul8 paying particular interest in the paint and animate module. I concluded that whilst I liked the affects the content was very boring and didn’t illustrate social anxiety disorder. I decided to use my second testimony taken from Claire Eastham to illustrate how it affects every aspect of a person’s life. This time I will also use sound to help create the illusion of sensory overload.
01. Video content
This time I sourced a variety of different video’s that depict various activities that may happen during a normal day; eating, traveling, working, exercising etc. The videos do not have sound and are coloured. I decided that using coloured content would make it more confusing and difficult to differentiate between the scenes.
The video content sourced did not have sound so, I’ve had to improvise. I’ve taken sounds effects from YouTube and converted them into mp3. This will allow me to layer them on top of the videos in Adobe Premier Pro.
When I exported the files the contents quality was drastically reduced and the visuals lagged. I troubleshot this problem for some time and exported the content in various different formats but I was only able to improve the quality marginally. I decided that for the time being I would continue to use the video as it was important that I started to experiment with sound.
Unfortunately, the format I exported my video’s is not supported by Modul8. This poses a problem because if I exported it in a format that is supported the content is extremely pixellated. To try to resolve the problem I will upload the videos and sounds separately, this will mean that they wont necessarily work together but rather against each other. Potentially, this come be a really interesting outcome.
Before I introducing sound I decided to experiment with some of the different features and modules that are available for users. located at the bottom of the interface ‘Master’ allows you to apply affects to all the content within the media set. The remainder of the interface allows the user to apply multiple different affects to the individual layers without affecting the other videos.
I used After Effects to create mini sound track, as iTunes wouldn’t allow me to drag and drop the content straight into Modul8. In the video below I demonstrate how you can fade between the content. Although the quality of the sound is poor (recorded using the internal microphone in my laptop) I do think it demonstrates what can be achieved. When I created these mini sound tracks I didn’t take into consideration how they would appear in Modul8, the grey background dominates and the video content below has been greyed out making it difficult to identify the activities. In future I will make sure the audio levels are opaque.